Monday, March 12, 2012

Leg cramps and Sugar highs

Last night I gave B a scare. I was in a deep wonderful sleep when all of a sudden I was woken up with the most severe cramp in my right calf muscle. I didn't think I was going to be able to move it ever again (I know a mere bit melodramatic) and I screamed in pain. B thought I was in pre-mature labour or something bad was happening. When he woke up and asked me and I told him that it was a cramp he gave me some very helpful advice that worked relieve the pain. I ended up waking up two more times with this stupid cramp(B figures it was caused by driving so much yesterday, who knew to stretch before and after driving - guess that's one of my new habits I will get into). When I woke up for the morning my calf muscle wasn't cramped but it still really hurt. It was very tight.

We got ready for the day and headed downtown. I dropped B off to pick up our other car that we had lent to some friends and I headed to the blood clinic. I had my glucose test today. They make you drink this orange drink (that tastes like flat orange crush) in 5 minutes and then you have to sit for an hour and then they take your blood to test it to see if you have gestational diabetes. I will find out the results either later today or tomorrow. While I sat there I got the jitters. It's like drinking soda on an empty stomach, you get tummy rot and the jitters and a sugar high. Kiwi also got a sugar high and danced around in my stomach for quite sometime. Finally the wait was over and they took my blood and I was free to go.

I went and did a little shopping. I should window shopping since I didn't buy anything. It was actually fun. (I hate shopping but this was fun cause it was baby shopping.) I was looking for a specific onesie and I never did find it. Than I talked to my lil' sis and I went over to visit her a while. Than I washed the car and did a couple of other errands and then finally got home at about 3 o'clock. I couldn't believe how much of my day was gone. C - to - the - razy!

I have officially started spring break and I am super excited because this is when we had agreed that I could start going baby crazy! As in getting the nursery put together!! I am super psyched! I will post photos of it once it's complete, but until then I will not give anything away. Beside, between now and the finished product it may change a bit so I don't want to set it up one way and deliver it in another way. But all I can say is I'm super duper excited.

Our Hawaii trip really marked the moment where I allowed myself to get really excited. Before than I was still reserved and nervous and cautious. I didn't (and still don't) want to be insensitive to others who are struggling. Knowing this I also don't want my over-sensitiveness to overshadow the joy and excitement that Kiwi is bringing to our lives.

Well until next time
Michelle

Update: I received an email from my doctors office that I passed the sugar test and do not have gestational diabetes - ice cream anyone?!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Hi Michelle!!! I used to get leg cramps a lot while pregnant too. I guess it is super common. I was told to drink lots of water which doesn't help with the whole peeing issue, especially right before bed, but I think that it did help. *hugs* they SUCK!!!! http://www.babycenter.com/0_leg-cramps-during-pregnancy_250.bc

Michelle said...

Aww, thanks Melanie!! I definitely will be drinking more water. I think it was caused mostly from my foot being on the gas pedal in the same position for 5 hours. Super painful! Thanks for the water tip :)

Followers