Saturday, February 11, 2012

Adventures in bathing suit shopping

Bathing suit shopping was all it's cracked up to be. I went to a million and one stores (ok like 5) and anyone who knows me knows I hate shopping at any time and bathing suit shopping just has that extra -why am I doing this to myself- aura around it. I skipped one store on purpose because they also have a connecting lingerie store and their sizes are always too small for my body type so I decided I'm not even going to go in there unless it becomes a last resort.

My first stop - Jersey city. Not even close to bathing suits right? Well it was right next to the bathing suit store and I needed to check to see if they had one thing that I've been looking for since finding out I'm pregnant. Alas, they did not have it. So before I went into the bathing suit store I went across the mall and looked at some summer dresses that I saw hanging up (I love sundresses so this seemed like a natural place to go when procrastinating from trying on swimsuits). Told ya I was really procrastinating on this whole endeavor. Finally I dragged myself into the first swim suit store. I tried on at least 6 or 7 swimsuits. Naturally my girls are large, being pregnant they are now elephant size and nothing they had was fitting them very nicely. She told me that they had a couple of other swimsuits but that it bumped me up into the next price category. Not thinking it would be that much I agreed to trying them on. The one was so beautiful, it was very flattering and then I looked at the price. The top alone (no bottoms) was $135! I've never paid that for an entire swimsuit before, let alone a top that I'm only planning on wearing for the next 6 months or so (I am under the understanding that after baby comes the girls are going to get even larger so I'm trying to plan ahead).

I sulked out of the store, defeated. So I went to the next department store along the journey (I had stopped in one department store when I first arrived at the mall, however they didn't have anything that would appeal to anyone under the age of 60. The second department store was also a bust (in the bust department - ha - I crack myself up). I figured out pretty quick that this was going to be a challenge, so I went to Gap. I went straight to the back and hit up the baby section. I talked with one lady who works there and told her that I needed a break from big girl shopping and came to look at something I knew would fit this little one at some point. It was also just really cute to see the things they had for little ones. After a little -little people shopping therapy(I didn't buy anything)- I was ready to embrace the big bad world of swimsuit shopping once again. I went to the last store, the one I avoided at the beginning. The last resort store. I went in already feeling defeated. When the girl approached me to see if I needed help with picking out the size (I was looking at one particular bathing suit) she asked me my size. I told her and she said, yes we have that in all the swimsuits here. Freedom! I could look at any bathing suit and know that they had it in my size. I tried on at least 7 bathing suits and the only reason I was taking forever in the change room was because I was having such a hard time choosing which one I liked best! I don't think that has ever happened before. My girls were completely covered - no spilling out on the sides or anything! I was ecstatic. I ended up deciding on two tops and one bottom. I was very pleased that it was a shopping success and that I wouldn't have to have another day devoted to the dreaded mall or shopping at all!

I quickly left the mall(I got what I needed and left - just like a guy shopper) and headed home. I was a starving marvin when I got home and quickly made a salad and was happy. As soon as I sat down though my legs throbbed. I had been walking around for 3 hours and I forget that my body wears out quicker these days. But my day didn't end there. I went grocery shopping as well for the week. Normally this is a Sunday evening adventure but this week we have plans for tomorrow evening so I decided to go tonight instead. I really recommend, if you live on the westside, to do your grocery shopping on either Saturday or Sunday evening, after 7pm. There is barely a soul in the store and the westside store is pretty good at keeping their stock topped up.

Baby Kiwi update - kicking up a storm. B is able to feel him/her kick and each time it seems to be getting stronger. I am so enjoying the imagining stage. Imagining if it's a boy or girl, what he/she will be like. What they will look like. The ability to snuggle them, are they going to be a cuddler? I bought kiwi a gift today using my swagbucks and I'm so excited for it to arrive in 6-10 business days! haha.

Wow you're lucky, two blog updates in one day. I just thought I should update on my bathing suit adventure.
Until next time
Michelle

2 comments:

White Girl said...

Was the store L.V.E.R Aqua? I also had great success at that store! Great quality, a variety of styles for all body types, awesome sales service - they were the ones that told me that I should have a hot tub bathing suit (any cheap one will do) and save the expensive bathing suit for the beach. The chemicals in the pool and the heat/chemical combination of the hot tub will break down the elastic of any bathing suit, no matter how good quality it is.

Glad you found a bathing suit that will work without having to break the budget!!

Michelle said...

Yes it was L.V.E.R Aqua!! I was so pleased!!! I'm actually looking forward to wearing it on the beach with my big o'l tummy sticking out!! haha. And I bought all 3 pieces for $116. I didn't think that was so bad considering the one top at the other place was more than all 3 combined. The prices were reasonable and they had my size in all the bathing suits so I didn't have a very select few to choose from, which was so nice.

Followers