Sunday, June 25, 2006

Um...I win!

Well, the contest is over. And I won!! Congratulations to Me. I would just like to thank all my fans for making this possible. I would also like to thank his parents, um, oops, no I don’t. Well, maybe I never met them so it might not be their fault. What did I win? I found the biggest jerk, so I win the award. How did this happen you ask? (Do you like how I ask the question for you so you don’t actually have to say anything? I like it, and so now so do you. Awesome, let’s continue with the story shall we?). Well, it all started on Tuesday morning. I was opening at the restaurant that I work in and had already had 2 tables before 10:30am. That’s lots ok! Normally we don’t have anyone in until 11:30. So I served those two tables. Then about 11:00 in walked this really nice lady. I served her and when she was about half way done in walk the worlds, ok, Brandon’s biggest jerk. Let’s start a new paragraph in honor of this story.

He walked in and started looking around. I walked up to him and welcomed him and asked if I could help him. He said, I’m meeting 3 or 4 other people here at 11:45, what time is it. I said, it’s exactly 11:45 on my clock, but I only have this one table in right now. Would you like to sit down and wait for them? He looked around and said, can I sit in here or should I sit in there (pointing at the lounge). I said I could sit him in here and walked towards the booth that was maybe 5 feet from where we were standing. He pretty much yelled, I want them to be able to see me when they walk in. I was like hows right here. He said fine. Then he said, well there might be 5 of us. We won’t all fit here, we’ll have to sit somewhere larger. I just ignored him(honestly, he was talking in such a rude tone.) So I walked away and the whole time he was waiting he never sat down. He kept pacing and looking out the window. I was like, whatever. Then my lady at the table was all done so I took her plate and took it to the dishwasher. I was off the floor for not even 45 seconds. Then I came out and he was in the waitress station (just a note to yourself that really pushes my buttons. That’s MY area AWAY from the customers so it ticks me off when they come in there.) He yelled, We’re all here now. I was like, ok. I’ll be right there. Geez. So I grabbed the water jug and walked up to where he had moved his table too. Another pet peeve of mine evens though it’s not the biggest deal. Just sit where you first sat, don’t touch all the cutlery on all the tables and be nice. Apparently I am a demanding server. Whatever! Anyways, back to the story. So now they are sitting up by the window(away from the door, so they couldn’t see him when they came in) and I went up there with the water jug. When I got up there he yelled, That’s what I want. I was like, ok. That’s why I brought it up here. It’s not just for show. Then I asked if I could bring everyone a cup of coffee or tea or anything to drink other than water. The ladies were all so nice and a couple of them said yes to coffee. He said, Me Too. I asked him, you would like a cup of coffee too? He looked at me and said, I wasn’t talking to you. So I asked again, would you like a cup of coffee? He said, UH NO! I said ok. And went and got the ladies their coffee. When I came back I told them all the special and left to give them a minute to decide. Every time I went up there he just ignored me. I didn’t really care. Then I went up to get there order. I asked them all what they would like and the ladies told me. The one lady asked for a salad and a soup. I asked her if she wanted to soup to start and she said all together is just fine unless someone else has a starter. Then I got to him. When I asked him what he would like to try he was like, well do you have a special? I was starting to get really annoyed with him and my tone came off as sharp and crisp when I said in a I’ve already told you two seconds ago type tone, it’s the Denver for $7.95. He said well I don’t want that. Can I have a Greek salad with something on the side? I said, our Greek salad comes with a slice of garlic toast. And he said, that’s not what I meant (I’m suppose to be a mind reader I guess. I must have forgotten to read that part of my job description). He said, could I have a sandwich or something with a Greek salad as the choice. I said of course, it’s just a little extra money. He said I don’t care if you charge me more for it. I was like, ok then what would you like to go with your Greek salad? Well, I’ll have spaghetti but I don’t want meat sauce or meatballs. I asked, would you like that plain or with our tomato sauce? And he said, no I want meat sauce. I was like, ok?! So I brought out his salad and her soup to start. I took her bowl away and he was still working on his salad. That was fine. Then their meals were ready and I brought them out. His was out last because it was pasta. When I brought it he said, I’m not done my salad, you brought that out a little early didn’t you? I just walked away. I didn’t care. For one thing at lunch time most people only have half an hour to an hour for lunch so everything is pushed out fast. I had other tables that needed my attention and he was really getting under my skin. I’m forgetting a lot of things he said, but he was just rude. Anyways, back to the story. So I went to check on everyone, they were all fine. Woo hoo. Then I talked to the table right across from them. They were yummy eye candy.....aka...cute boys. They were really nice too. That was just a small detour from the story but we’ll continue on. So I was taking some of the ladies plates away and he only had one spoonful of sauce left in his pasta bowl and a couple of pieces of feta cheese in his salad bowl, he was leaned back and not touching his fork. These are all signs to your server that you’re done. So I asked him if I could take his plates for him. He said back to me, NO, I’m not done yet. I was like, oh, ok...take your time. Then I walked away. Poor Mags, the girl I was working with, didn’t know I had just been there and she saw the near empty plates and went and asked if she could take his plates for him. He got really upset apparently and told her, NO, I’m Not Done Yet. She was like, oh sorry. By this time I had come back and called him an ass and when she came back in she said, you weren’t kidding. But see, he never looked up at me so he probably didn’t look up at her either and thought it was me coming back and hounding him for his plates. Ha ha. So I told Mags, I’m going to make him sit there with his empty plates for 5 mins. She just laughed. But of course I couldn’t bring myself to do it. I went up and got his plates. Before I took them I asked him if I could take his plates and he said, um, do you think you could take these away now? ???Didn’t I just ask to take them away??? Whatever, would anyone like dessert or anything else?? No ok, I’ll be right back with your bill. His response, Yeah, could you bring our bill now? ???Ok, didn’t I just say I was going to get your bill for you??? Then I brought their bill and they sat there for another hour. I didn’t go back. They were billed. I was done with them. When they were leaving he was short 3 dollars from his bill so he had to come back and pay it. Then he left.
I went to my boss after he was gone and told him, that guy that just left is the biggest JERK(and that’s a nice word) I’ve ever served in all my years serving(11years). My boss’ response, I’m not surprised. I over heard some of their conversation and he thinks he’s God’s gift to all mankind. I told my boss that if I ever had to have lunch with him I think I would have to kill myself. Seriously it was that bad. Yes Dad, it was even worse than “The last one was to go” lady.
What’s the moral of the story? If you have a friend or someone who is arrogant and rude that embarasses you(because I could tell those ladies were embarassed) let them know that they are being an ass. Maybe nobody has ever told him that with an attitude adjustment he would get a lot better service and maybe some new friends. I told Mags that if he ever comes in again, I will NOT serve him. After it was all said and done I just laugh because everything he did just made him look like an idiot. So when people ask me if there are really customers like the lady in the movie “Waiting” I would have to respond, YES. This is one of those stories. :) Until next time. Peace Out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I guess I will have to watch the movie "Waiting" now!
Some people have ZERO personality!
Problem is these types don't know it and think that the world somehow owes them BIG TIME!
Well, the last one is to go!
THE LAST ONE IS TO GO!
At least now you just give them attitude back! :)

Sheila said...

Being a "server" is a challenge at times. You did good girl. Bet your tongue is a little shorter from biting it?

white girl said...

That guy was so mean. I feel bad for those ladies that were eating with him. You, at least, got paid to be in his presence. They had to pay for their lunch to be in his presence. Sad.

Anonymous said...

wow thats one rude dude . hey that rhymes .. so when are you moving back to kelowna ? you know you want to ....

Followers