Sunday, December 10, 2006

Why I Don't Ski Part 2

It took 3 years after the first ski trial for me to give it another try. When I was 17 my best friend Karen and her family invited me to join them in a winter retreat. It was to celebrate our last winter vacation before graduation. So we all rented out a condo for a week at Whistler. I was determined to try snowboarding and so was Karen. She was already really good at skiing and had her own ski's. Lucky duck. So our first day there we both rented a snowboard. Just in case nobody has told you yet, I will tell you...never go by your first day impressions of snowboarding. You will spend the whole time on your bum watching other boarders for little tips you might catch onto. After the first full day we were both really sore. I mean so sore we had to help eachother change because we couldn't lift our arms.
That evening we were already in bed with the curtain drawn(that's what seperated the rooms...a curtain). Suddenly Karen's mom started laughing really hard so we slowly pulled the curtain back to be faced with Karen's dad wearing a snorkel set. It was so funny. That really has nothing to do with the skiing stories I'm telling but I thought I would throw that in.
The second day we both tried skiing. Ok, Karen went skiing and I tried to keep up. After half the day gone Karen asked me if it was ok that she go on ahead and we meet up at the condo later. I said that was fine because I knew I was painfully slow for her. When I was about half way done the run I was on I hit a patch of ice and went sliding down quite a ways. When I finally stopped I realized that one of my ski's had come off and was still up the mountain where I had hit the ice. So I started up slowly to collect my fallen articles. I finally collected them all and tried to figure out how to put my ski back on in the middle of a hill. I couldn't get it on because I kept falling over. I looked over to see a little shed sticking out of the snow and headed over to it to help me balance. Once I got there I still couldn't get it on. After about an hour of trying to get my stupid ski back on I decided it would be better to take off the other one and slide on my bum down to the flatter area. That idea still didn't work. I wrote a couple of poems while I was out there because the view was unbelieveable. Suddenly a guy came up to me and said that I had to get off the hill because it had been closed for about half an hour already. I told him that I would love to get off but I couldn't get my ski's back on. He helped me put them back on and away we went. He told me I was really good at it but I told him that it was the last time I was ever going to ski. I had enough of if. But I would instead pick up snowboarding because at least I could keep it attached to my feet while I sat on my bum. And that is what I did. I stuck with snowboarding and by the end of that week I knew how to carve. Awesome!
Another funny story about staying at the condo with Karen's family was that one night the fire alarm went off. The system had frozen wires and because of it's safety precaution it went off. We had to stand outside in the freezing cold in our pj's and wait for the fire person to come and tell us that it was ok to go back in. All I can say is that I'm glad I wasn't part of the couple wrapped in a blanket. Hee hee...I wonder what they were doing.
But now I have the feva peeps. I'm ready to go boarding whenever with whomever. Just say the word and I'm there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What?? No Comments??
You must have left everyone speechless!
Or maybe they are still trying to figure out what that couple in the blanket were doing!
They were keeping warm peeps!

Followers