Monday, April 06, 2009

Just Another Manic Monday

Howdy everyone in blogland. I don't really have anything too exciting to write about. I just thought I would drop in and say hello. My practicum just started last week. I started off in Kindergarten with two children on the caseload. It was really interesting and so fun! There was one little boy in the afternoon class who came up to me and said, "I forget your name, what was it again?" And I told him what it was but he could call me "Ms. M" if he forgets again. So for the remainder of the week that's what he called me. On Friday when we were all saying goodbye for the weekend he said, "We'll see you next week Ms. M". The little girl behind him in line piped up and asked him who Ms. M was. I said, that's me. And she said, "No, you're Ms. Mckay". So proudly the little boy told her our arrangement. It was so sweet. This week I'm in grade 4. There are 3 children on the case load. Today was the first day with them so getting to know them is still new. There are 2 girls and 1 boy. On our way back to the classroom after gym we were standing in the hallway waiting quietly. That is where the little boy stared me down trying to figure me out. It was quite funny. I know it's going to be a challenge for me to figure out the boundaries. It seems to me, only because I'm not actually in the role, or have the relationship with this kids already established, that there are lines and I don't want to cross one that would be inappropriate. Does that make sense? I know there have to be consequences, but being a practicum student am I to come up with them. I just don't know my exact role, I don't know when I should step in, or when I should completely back off. It's a balance I'm still trying to figure out. Tomorrow I meet up with the resource teacher for the first time. I'm really excited to meet her.


Throughout our day today there was one little girl in the class who was quite upset. This kind of had a domino affect and another little girl became upset. Then I had a bit of a coughing fit and it brought tears to my eyes, the guy I'm working under looked at me and asked, "Are you crying now too?!" haha. I told him, no I just have a cough. haha. So funny. Poor guy thinks he's surrounded by emotionally charged women.

On the other side, for the last few days I've been really feeling drained, and under the weather. I wonder if it's because I've been stressing myself out over my assignments, going through the grief process, and getting use to a new schedule. It has just put my system out of whack, hopefully a good night's rest will help. I know the cough syrup in the cupboards helped relieve the cough I had through the night. I never get coughs so I knew it was actually something.


No comments:

Followers